9.11.2008

Seven Years Later

I can't believe it has been seven years since our country united as one to stand together and nurse a deep wound.  On September 11, 2001 I was sitting in Dr. Staley's Government class when our vice principal came into the room and pulled our teacher out of the class.  Then our teacher came back in, and without saying anything she turned the TV on and tuned it to CNN and we watched as the World Trade Center Towers gushed smoke.  And then as soon as it happened it was over- the first tower had fallen, LIVE on TV.  The rest of the day was very somber, as everyone realized what actually was happening.  
I always heard people say they knew exactly what they were doing the very moment new broke that JFK had been assassinated, but didn't understand why.  There had been big events in my 17 years of life prior to 9-11 that I didn't remember what I was doing.  What was so poignant about JFK's assassination?  At about 7:45a.m. September 11, 2001 I understood.  I will never forget that I was looking through the newspaper trying to find a current event for our weekly papers, and I was thinking "there is NOTHING in the news!"  Michael Jordan was planning a comeback, and that was the big story.  Since then, nothing has ever been the same.
Following the attacks it was so heartwarming how Americans came together.  I remember it being not long after the controversial 2000 Bush vs. Gore election, and we were a torn nation. Once the terrorist attacks happened, however, we were UNITED! 
On this anniversary I hope we take look back at September 12, and remember the patriotism so many had.  We weren't a split nation as we are now.  
Granted everyone is entitled to the political opinions--- I couldn't be more happy about that!  We were a nation built on democracy, so to take that away would be a slap in the face to the nearly 3,000 people who lost their life that day, or the many more soldiers who have lost their life since.  One thing we do need to remember, though, is after election day the decision will have been made.  Either McCain or Obama will be president, and the other won't.  It isn't going to be a landslide election as it stands right now- it will be very close.  Nearly half the country will have voted for the other candidate, but 100% will still be Americans.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL as we are "one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all!"

No comments: